Thursday, May 28, 2009

Born Athlete













Experience has taught me that athleticism is largely influenced by genetics. My opinion is based purely on personal observation of myself and the hundreds of children I taught from ages 5-17 during my 6 year period as a physical education teacher. Although a few studies have been done to find conclusive indicators in children to determine their propensity to excel at sports. But the controversy caused by drawing blood and performing biopsies on adolescences limits the depth at which scientists can explore the idea.

Exceptional speed, agility, coordination, eye-hand coordination, balance, strength, flexibility and reflex action are qualities you have to be born with. No amount of coaching will up-grade one's genetic potential. You either have it, or you don't. Average built individuals can make some measurable gains to their performance, but the improvement will be marginal compared to what the physically gifted can do.

My redeeming quality is speed and agility. I have been blessed with a muscular structure predominately composed of fast-twitch muscle fibers (fiber types most responsible for explosive power and muscular size). I started to become comparably conscious of my physical abilities at age 6, when I realized how easily I could change direction and quickly sprint to another point to avoid playmates in games of chase and catch. Inspired by watching Bruce Lee duel Chuck Norris in the coliseum scene from the movie 'Way of The Dragon', I started pursuing martial arts at age 7. At age 10 I discovered the importance of strength, when I went tagging along with my older cousin and his friends to the local gym. Ironically, it was a Gold's Gym. By fifteen I had compiled a laundry list of interests which included football, basketball, soccer, track and field, weight training, taekwondo, volleyball, skiing, baseball, hockey, skating, BMX, skateboarding, swimming, softball and gymnastics. Eventually, I settled into martial arts and boxing as my favorite activities, and I have been lucky enough to experience some success competing in both activities.

But I don't consider myself special, you can find my like at a crowded playground. Just spend an hour watching kids play. Certain youngsters will standout compared to their peers. Individuals that jump higher, cross the monkey-bars quicker and run and dodge better than their counterparts. Everything you are capable of being in a lifetime is genetically decided by age 5. Consequently, it is not unheard of for American amateur and professional basketball scouts to comb intercity basketball courts looking for 8-14 year old kids to become the next Michael Jordan. Signs of skill start to emerge at an early age. Tiger Woods showed an innate ability to play golf at age 4. Wayne Gretzky displayed an unbelievable eye for tracking, and then reacting to a fast moving hockey puck long before he reached his teenage years. He probably could skate before he could walk. Most good athletes have one thing in common, regardless of the sport they play. They showed the ability to athletically achieve as children.

However just possessing natural ability isn't enough to get to the top of a sport. Other influences such as coaching, finance, access to equipment and venues, aptitude and attitude also play an important role. Talent has to be natured to produce competitiveness. But the process begins with being born exceptional. Rarely can a physically average individual soar to the top of a sport. That's why under-dogs that beat the odds are so celebrated by sports fans.

Those that can rise to the top of more than one sport are few and far between. Talent to perform well in one event does not necessarily carry-over to do well in another sport. Even if someone possesses a diverse and abundant amount of talent, it's not practical to train for different sports at the same time. Being the best is a full-time job. It's better obtained when an individual's attention is not divided. Otherwise you have the scenario of being the jack of all trades, but the master of none. Once I started boxing, I put martial arts to the side to focus my attention solely on boxing.

All this to say, 'you are what you are'. You have to play the game of life with the uniform you were issued.

P.S.

Neither my mother nor my father have an athletic bone in their bodies; go figure.

No comments: