Tuesday, February 16, 2010

There is Nothing Sporty About Curling

















Dictionary.com - curl⋅ing

–noun
a game played on ice in which two teams of four players each compete in sliding large stones toward a mark in the center of a circle.

There have been a number of occasions that I have questioned the IOC's (International Olympic Committee) judgment in deciding what events should be included in the summer/winter Olympic Games. In my opinion a game that does not include a significant element of athleticism (strength, speed, agility and coordination) is not a sport. Curling is a game of skill, but it requires nothing more than an average level of fitness to excel in.

If the Olympics are suppose to represent the echelon of athletic achievement, than only events that require both physical and cognitive exertion should be included. The art of pushing a stone across ice while 3 people sweep the way towards a target are not actions I consider worthy of an Olympic gold medal. If they are, then I would appreciate the IOC awarding me with 5 gold medals for the number of times I've won the coin toss game at the amusement park.

No comments: