Friday, February 05, 2010

Done Deal

Both Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer and Al Haymon, a Mayweather adviser, have reportedly given their word that Floyd Mayweather Jr. has signed the contract to fight the welterweight title holder Sugar Shane Mosely at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. The fight takes place on May 1, 2010. Also reported is a plan for the fighters to head to Miami to kick of promotions during the Super Bowl weekend to boost pay-per-view sales.

Mayweather (40-0, 25 KOs), a five-division champion, and Mosley (46-5, 39 KOs), a three-division champion, should have been paired together a long time ago. This bout promises to out stage the lopsided dual between Manny Pacquiao and Joshua Clottey on March 13 at the Dallas Cowboy's stadium, in which Pacquiao is the clear favorite to win.

Blood testing will not be an issue. Mosely, who was connected to the infamous BALCO steroid case, has agreed to the blood testing process that Mayweather demanded during the failed negotiations with Pacquaio.

This past Wednesday Mayweather and Mosely released the following statements after the signing of the contract:


"This one is definitely for the fans as I wasn't going to waste anyone's time with a meaningless tune-up bout and asked to fight Shane immediately. I have said ever since I came back to the sport that I only wanted to fight the best. I think Shane is one of the best, but come May 1, he still won't be great enough to beat me."

-- Floyd Mayweather Jr.




"I have always wanted to fight Floyd and now it is finally coming true. I am already in great shape and ready to show everyone on May 1 that I am stronger, faster and better than he is. I will have no problem beating him."

-- Shane Mosley

No comments: