Thursday, January 11, 2007

Rocky


When I heard Sylvester Stallone was going to make a fifth Rocky movie, I bust out laughing. I'm sure you did too. Like the vanquished opponents had to do on the boxing series, Top Contender, I thought "it's about time you put those gloves on the hook old man." Sensational realism can only be taken so far. I wasn't sure that I could stretch my imagination to believe that a boxing movie character (Rocky Balboa) could first appear in 1976 - followed by sequels in 1979, 1982, and 1985 and then cascade over the barriers of time to reappear 21 years later in 2006, while still being portrayed by the same person. Reality says, 21 years removed from anything, and it is game over. Never the less, I went to watch the movie, simply because I have an emotional attachment to Philadelphia's favorite Italian, speech impaired underdog.

I didn't think he could do it, but Stallone manages to pull off a convincing performance. Of all the Rocky movies, this one best exemplifies true ring strategy within the fight sequences. Even the training methodology was realistic for the circumstances facing the Italian Stallion in this one.
Nor does the movie try to repeat the over-dramatized slow motion action frames of its predecessors. Instead the fight scenes flow at a believable pace with an acceptable level of action. But tradition is preserved by incorporating enough of the Rocky tradmarks that still make you want to get up out of your seat and start shadow boxing in the aisles while you hum the Rocky theme song. Also, boxing enthusiasts will appreciate the cameo appearences of real-life sports figures. If you are a true fan of the Rocky series, you should enjoy Sly's lastest edition.

For more info click here
"Yo Adrian, I did it!"

No comments: