Monday, January 22, 2007

NFL History

Tony Dungy (L) & Lovie Smith (R)










This past Sunday afternoon I witnessed history unfold with a smile on my face. Tony Dungy of the Indianapolis Colts and Lovie Smith of the Chicago Bears are the first African American head coaches to lead their perspective teams to a Super Bowl. What are the odds that not one, but two black NFL head coaches would make it to the big dance in the same year? Slim and none, considering that it had never been done since the inception of the Super Bowl over 40 years ago. In fact, there were no black head coaches to be found in the modern NFL era until Art Shell was hired for the position with the Los Angeles Raiders in 1989. Anyway you slice it, it's an outstanding achievement; long over due. And on February 4, 2007 in Miami's Dolphins Stadium another historical first will occur, when either Tony Dungy or Lovie Smith becomes the first African American NFL head coach to lead his team to a Super Bowl victory. Which I think is an excellent way to start "Black History Month."

2 comments:

Allison Miranda said...

I do agree, that is a great way to begin Black History Month. Even though I am a Saints fan, I will root for the Bears during the Super Bowl.

B-Flx said...

randi523: I am a die hard Cowboys fan. But I think everyone likes what the Saints did to lift the spirits of New Orleans.

I like the Colts; it's Dungy's time. The year that Tampa Bay won the Super Bowl should have been done with Dungy.