Friday, November 12, 2010

Roc-It @ Elements Gym




















On the request of a friend, I just recently paid a visit to Elements Gym located on the 7th floor at G Tower in KL. The club definitely delivers on aesthetics. As you enter the gym, you are treated to a view of the facility’s horizon pool which seemingly pours into the skyline view of the surrounding luxury condominiums and offices buildings that includes the Twin Towers. Care has been taken to include the elements of wood, stone, water, earth and metal in constructing the Zen-like facades which are orchestrated throughout the gym. I particularly thought the use of bamboo rods to create naturalistic barriers which gives the impression of privacy without feeling confined was a nice touch.

Spacious walkways made it easy to move from one corner of the club to the next without having to dodge trainees in mid-workout. Elements Gym also boasts four studios. One for private Pilates training, a second for group Pilates classes, a third for cycling classes and another for Les Mills programs.

Putting aside the gym’s tasteful interior, what stood out for me was the management’s decision to use the complete gamete of Hoist Roc-It selectorized equipment as one of Element’s offered circuit lines. Being away from the States for the last 3 years, it’s been a while since I had last seen Hoist in active use. I remember Hoist machines being a bit bulky and somewhat industrially awkward looking. But it is apparent that the manufacture has taken steps to smooth out the rough edges and inject a contemporary style into the Roc-It RS series. According to the club’s manager the decision was made to purchase the line because it offered a unique function and look compared to what other clubs in the area were providing gym participants. Mission accomplished. To my knowledge no other commercial outfit in KL to date uses Hoist equipment. Correct me, if I’m wrong.

So what’s unique about ‘Roc-It’? In terms of style, other reputable equipment manufactures easily match Hoist machines in look and craftsmanship. Roc-It is unique, because it continually adjusts the position of the user relative to the line of exertion. In layman’s terms the machine rocks while you use it. It’s kind of like the Health Rider meets selectorizied equipment.

What I thought. I didn’t use every machine in the Roc-It RS line that was available. Instead I tested the leg press, calf raise, lat pulldown, low back and seated mid row. The machines’ adjustments were easy to make, the pulley system was smooth, construction was solid, and the seating was comfortable. But I would expect nothing less from any commercial grade machine. What I didn’t like was how easy the Roc-It system made it to cheat. For instance, pressing down on the foot rests with your legs while using the low back machine causes the hips to move into extension, thereby eliminating the need to use your lower back to do so. It defeats the whole purpose of the machine, if the exercise is performed wrongly in this matter. Be assured that an inexperienced member will do just as I described; if not from the first repetition, surely when he/she starts to get tired. It’s a matter of seeking the path of least resistance. However, Roc-It applied to the lat pulldown provided a modest applicable advantage without allowing me to cheat. With the exception of the lat pull, I didn’t feel there was any real value added to the exercises by the Roc-It motion. When I return to the center next Wednesday, I’ll have a go at the machines I didn’t use. Maybe I will make a startling observation I had previously overlooked.

No comments: