Wednesday, November 18, 2009

I have no problem telling anyone that I have clear disdain for incompetent authority, so it is not often that I get to praise government officials in any country. But on this occasion I respectfully bite my tongue. The Malaysian government stepped up to the plate and knocked one out of the ballpark with the revamping of the Gimnasium Rakyat in Kg. Pandan.


I was invited by Jay from F1 Recreation to speak to the staff at the mentioned location, and I was pleasantly surprised to see the mint condition of the facility when I arrived. It is by far the best government sponsored community gymnasium I have ever seen in Malaysia. The facility is almost as well equipped as any major commercial health club would be given the same amount of space to work with. Needless to say I was impressed.


The entry way is nicely trimmed with an attractive front desk. Ample windows surround the gymnasium to allow natural sunlight and keep the training area from looking closed in. Except in the warm and inviting aerobic room and newly renovated locker rooms, black rubber matting covers the floor to keep a bounce in your step and help minimize the noise from falling plates and dumbbells. All the brand new commercial grade equipment was supplied by F1 Recreation(Cybex VR1 single station machines, benches, cable cross, plate loaded machines, treadmills and Keiser cycling bikes).


I had a good time that day talking with the staff, and then later sharing lunch with them. I plan to take some friends and workout there once the gym is officially opened. Why not? The facility has some great pieces of equipment, and it only costs RM5/visit to use it. Malaysia Boleh!


Me speaking to the staff

Outside front view of the gymnasium

Front Desk

Aerobic room

Keiser cycling bikes



Free weight and machine area

No comments: