Friday, February 23, 2007

Commercial Break



The recent celebration of Chinese New Year 2007 (year of the boar) coinciding with my recent arrival to Malaysia brought good fortune to me. As luck would have it. After just one week of being in Malaysia; I was casted for a Pepsi commercial as a stunt double for a famous member of Pakistan's World Cup Cricket Squad, Mohammad Asif.

The commercial stars Mohammad Asif along with two of his cricketer teammates training for the upcoming 2007 World Cup Cricket Championship in various industrial settings around Malaysia. The basic premise of the commercial is the classic underdog story-line that shows these star members of the scrappy and talented Pakistan Cricket Team training hard to dethrone the heavily favored and current World Cup Cricket Champs, Australia.

It was by sheer chance that I was brought on board this project. A couple of casting assistants from the advertisement agency handling the commercial shoot showed up at Gold's Gym, KL while I happened to be present working out. Unannounced to me they were looking for a person that could jump rope really well with lots of fancy footwork, and able to perform a mean crossover. Now what boxer can't jump rope well? So this is pretty much a no-brainer for me. The casting assistants approached me with the idea of performing some jumping techniques on camera right there on the spot, and I accepted. They showed my video routine to the directors of the commercial, and I received a call the next day telling me that I was selected to be the jump rope stunt double.

So there you have it. In just a short period of time, I have become an ambassador and champion of US-Pakistan relations. And whenever the mood suits me to stretch and distort the boarders of my importance, I can brandish the idea of having the most famous crossover in Southeast Asia thanks to Pepsi, Mohammad Asif and the good fortune of Chinese New Year.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

yeah!!! if you can train latin american middle aged princesses, you can do anything......
we miss you but will be looking out for the pepsi commercial
much love
p & the pooch

Anonymous said...

you rock, brett! miss you tons. xo sam

Anonymous said...

So when do we get to see the commercial? I guess we won't see it in the USA since its a Cricket commercial (what's cricket? is it like baseball before all the players started taking steroids?)

Linus

B-Flx said...

p & pooch: Thank you both for the vote of confidence, I will try my best to do you proud.

Sam: You made me blush. ;)

Linus: I will see if I can download a clip of the commercial once it is produced.

Believe it or not there is actually controversey steroid use in cricket too. But to answer your question, cricket is related to baseball, but it's slower paced and even more boring.

Elina said...

australia may no longer be the cricket champs. new zealand are putting them to shame only a little before the world cup!

Anonymous said...

what a wonderful news.remenber Bruce Lee also start as the stunt acter so little criket i will keep my eye open for the RUTURN THE DRAGON!!!
Happy New Year!!!

B-Flx said...

elmo: The road to the top is an easier accomplishment than remaining there. All eyes on you.

grasshopper: Thank you for the encouragement and well wishes.

Train hard!

Anonymous said...

So - can we see the commerical, what is the status of that? Any other news?