Wednesday, June 08, 2011

Readiness Has Its Rewards



I received some disappointing news a few days ago that my scheduled boxing match in Johor Bahru, Malaysia on July 7, 2011 is not going to happen. The proposed opponent's promoter, who initially agreed to the bout, is backpedaling on his words after viewing my bio.


I suppose on some level I should be flattered. It's been said that the greatest compliment you can give a warrior is to concede victory without him/her having to draw their weapon or throw a single blow. Never the less, I far prefer to establish an edge by trading shots inside the ring. The fact that the promoter concluded the outcome of the match based on my past experiences lacks competitive spirit.


Even though the bout has been cancelled, I'm still training with the same enthusiasm and intensity as when I thought my ego and reputation were at stake. I reminded myself of a lesson that was taught to me long ago.


Winning and losing is trivial. The true reward is just to climb.

In preparing for this fight I have gotten into the best shape that I have been in for a while. A condition and personal reward I find very satisfying. Feeling amply capable is priceless.

No comments: